Skip to main content

What's Your B Plan?


The phrase for the week is "Contingency Planning”

When I was growing up in Chicago, I loved to play chess.  What I loved most about the game was trying to predict what moves my opponent might make and what I would do in response.  I’m too impatient for chess now, but I have used those skills throughout my career and am confident it has been the foundation for much of my planning success stories.  I call it contingency planning but the formal term is scenario planning.

It is so much a part of how I approach my personal and professional life, I rarely realize I’ve engaged this tool.  In order for this level of planning to work, you must be committed to the amount of time it takes to sift through all the possible outcomes or scenarios.  Often, a person will only plan for the outcome they want and when things go awry, they are back to square one--researching, planning, etc.  Often there is a mourning period before they are able to regroup to begin again.  Meanwhile, I am quickly moving from plan A to B and maybe even to C without breaking a sweat. 

When considering all the possible outcomes and what your response or action may be, it is equally important to consider all possible perspectives, beliefs and any wildcards, no matter how absurd it may seem at the time.  Remember, the main reason for going through this exercise is to strengthen your decision making and reduce stress.  This forces you to see the bigger picture and what is possible.  What I also love about this process, is that it generates creativity and innovation.  Because the sky is the limit, so are the solutions!

When planning anything, anticipate all possible outcomes and prepare for a variety of scenarios. 

Identify a personal or professional activity or project that is coming up in the next couple of weeks or more and engage contingency planning.

 I use the contingency planning process for all major decisions in my life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not Too Late to Spring Clean!!!

The word for the week is "Declutter.” An organized mind, office and house helps one reach personal and professional goals as planned.    Set three priorities this week and don’t allow someone else’s crisis to derail you from you plan to declutter . It takes about 4 to 8 hours to declutter an office.   According to professional organizer Barbara Reich, it takes 20 to 30 hours to organize a house.   So plan accordingly.   Resources you will need for the job:   File folders Label maker Trash bags File boxes Storage boxes or bins Packing tape, dispenser is helpful A cheerleader A positive attitude loaded with  perseverance I declutter for clarity and to reach my goals.

Look Again!!!

The phrase for the week is "look beyond the obvious." Many of us remember this photo from a classroom where the teacher was making a point that one person can see an old woman, while another sees a young woman.   Each will be confident they are right and the other wrong.   They can even point to the evidence that’s so “obvious.”   Of course, the truth is, they are both right, because in this illustration, there is an old woman and young woman.   Often in our lives we make snap judgments and act on what we believe are truths.   Truths that are so “obvious.”   It is only when we are forced to hit the pause button and challenge ourselves to consider other perspectives that we are able to grow and enrich our lives.   Looking beyond the obvious allows us to find deeper meaning in the world around us and uncover unexpected truths.       I will find deeper meaning in ...

Be Strong! Stand Firm!

The phrase for the week is "Stand Firm.” Individuals with any measure of success are without question, engaged in some level of risk taking.   Not reckless risk, but strategic risk--supported by research, a strong network and faith.   For a business enterprise, these calculated risks result in increased market share, an innovative product design, and can distance the company further from their nearest competitor.   This week, identify a project, initiative or idea you’ve been considering.   Do the required research to support your position and the opposing points of view.   Be clear on how this can move the organization from point A to point B.   Be clear, be confident and stand firm. I do my research and I stand firm on my ideas and decisions.